Diwali Special – Kaju Barfi Recipe
Bio: Kaju barfi recipe is an erstwhile diwali recipe or rather I should say, a festival recipe that is hugely popular across all of India. Though there are many famous shops that churn out delicious kaju barfi but making traditional indian sweets at home adds the fun to festivities. Check out this diwali recipe and if you have one of your own, please do write back with it!
Ingredients For Kaju Barfi Recipe
- Cashew nuts – 1 cup or 8-9 cashews
- Sugar -1/2 cup (preferably powdered/castor sugar)
- Cardamom powder -1/4 tsp
- Saffron stands – 4-5 (optional)
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Ghee -2 tsp
- For garnishing: Edible Silver Foil
- Make a paste of cashew nuts by grinding them.
- Tip: Cashew nuts should be at room temperature before you powder them. While grinding in a mixer, operate the mixer at intervals. Cashew nuts are rich in oil content and tend to get stuck to the walls of the mixer.
- Now take a heavy bottomed pan and add water and sugar. If you are using powdered sugar, it will dissolve easily in water.
- Once sugar dissolves, add cardamom powder and saffron strands.
- After a minute, add cashew nut powder/paste that you have prepared.
- Cook on low flame for 3-4 minutes, lest the mixture burns.
- Now add Ghee and mix well. Cook till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- The final consistency of mixture should be of a consistency that you can mold into a diamond shape or whichever other shape you prefer.
- Remove the mixture from the flame and spread out on a greased plate. Flatten with a kadhai or spatula.
- Cut into diamond / desired shape once the mixture cools.
- Decorate with edible silver foil and your delicious home-made diwali recipe is ready to be savored!
- This kaju barfi recipe takes about 30-40 mins preparation time.